Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Rush of Wings to the Brain

You close your eyes and hear thundering hooves...a rush of raven wings tickles your cheek and blows your hair...it sounds as though the caws of a murder of crows are calling your name.  You are in the presence of The Morrigan.

I open with this because I want people to know that, although the title of this blog is clearly a pun, I take my devotion seriously...but working with The Morrigan has taught me that not everything has to be serious, even when you're dealing with a "scary" deity.  The Morrigan is well known in pagan circles, but She is also unknowable.  This is because she is dynamic, and comes in many different guises to many different people.  Yes, we can learn through the old myths.  We can read what other pagans have written about Her.  But we can only learn what She chooses to share.  I have been devoted to Her for almost twenty years (keep your teen-witch "playgan" comments to yourself, please) and she still surprises me regularly.  I get furious when people reduce The Morrigan to "sex and death."  I also get furious when people say I only follow Her because She was "trendy."  (Seriously, most of the pagans I know are much closer to other forms of deity.)

She is strength.  She is sovereignty.  She is wisdom, she is magic.  She is the unknowable.  She is the Mother.  She is the Maiden, as well as Crone.  And yes, She is womb and tomb.  That's the point.  She is all-encompassing, as is life.

So what's this blog going to be about?  Am I going to teach people how to commune with The Morrigan? Nope. Sure, on Tuesdays you will get my Morrigan musings, and I will be happy to share stories about my path.  (Like that one time She got me knocked up...more on that next Tuesday!)  Mainly, this blog, like myself, is going to be a work in progress.  For years, I have been neglecting my creative side, starting projects just to stop when I don't feel that I am good enough.  Then one day, earlier this year, there was a clattering of wings in my brain.  She sent message after message- "Kristen, get off your ass.  Do NOT squander what I have given you."  Still, I procrastinated.  I kicked around more ideas than I could count, but never followed through.  No more.  She is holding me accountable.  I have received enough messages from the universe to know that this is the year I am to come out of my shell and make myself whole.  Yes, it helps that I have an awesome support system of women who are of like mind. (Woohoo for the Broom and Brew!) It also helps that, being pregnant, I have the time to reflect and walk between worlds- as I have said to friends, a pregnant woman is walking liminal space.  I mentioned above that She is all-encompassing.  I intend for this blog to be as well.

You will learn that I am an ardent feminist, an equal rights advocate, not always politically correct, a bit sarcastic, quite nerdy, a true hedge witch, a soon to be mother...oh hell, just cue the "I'm Every Woman/Bitch" smashup and there ya go.  The journey won't always be perfect, nor will this blog always be well written, but it will be my truth.

So please, bear with my growing pains, enjoy (or at least tolerate) my snark, and feel free to laugh with (or at) me as I fumble towards ecstasy.


4 comments:

  1. Aww, you're my first comment! And I'm in your blogroll! (Still working on my widgets!) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read all your musings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! It's out there- you are out there, and it is good!

    ReplyDelete